Friday 3 April 2009

Saving the planet can be fun (honest!)


I’m a bit of a dinosaur (pauses for agreement from colleagues). I find a lot of the current eco-babble a bit hard to take. On the other hand, even I realise that I waste a lot of stuff, and sometimes hop on a bus when I could easily walk. So this week’s WTH is about doing your bit for green-ness without unnecessary suffering.

Stroll on!


It’s been a while since I had a look at walkit.com, and I must say it’s brightened up a lot in the meanwhile. The pitch is that they will help you find a walking route between places in London, or in 12 other UK towns and cities. If you’re in a hurry, they’ll find you the most direct route, but you can choose to sidle down the back streets avoiding the worst of the traffic noise, or to find a route which minimises the amount of carbon dioxide you inhale.


I wasn’t sure what the difference was between the "less busy" and "less pollution" options, so I asked for routes between Baker Street Station and Tate Modern. The direct route is… well, direct – 3.2 miles and 48 minutes if I get a wiggle on (or an hour 37 minutes if I dawdle). The "less busy" route was 3.4 miles with a few more twists and turns, but very promising as a stress-free walk. I was not surprised to find that the "less pollution" route looked remarkably similar to "less busy".

If you want to bathe in a green glow of satisfaction, you can check out the amount of CO² you are not emitting by going on foot. As for me, I’m just off for a nice walk down to the Tate!

(From the Gateway to websites, select "Environment & geography". walkit.com is, I’m afraid, under "Going green".)


A bin near you

The main point about Recycling in Westminster is that it is long on facts, and admirably short on the stuff that makes you want to dump everything in the rubbish bin out of sheer bloody-mindedness. What you can what you can’t, where the recycling points are and what happens to the things you recycle… someone has had a severe attack of stick-to-we-need-to-know disease, and the resulting web pages are admirable.

Of course, if you want preachy stuff you can find it, but it’s deliciously easy to avoid it!

(From the Gateway to websites, select "Environment & geography". Recycling in Westminster is under "Going green".)



No comments: