Wednesday 20 June 2007

Clever stuff (with a bit of help)

Get the facts

There’s a good practical reason for mentioning TechEncyclopedia again. You’ve probably guessed why – when we were discussing blogs and RSS feeds and mysterious things like that, TechEncylopedia was my first port of call for definitions of the technical terms.
Sometimes, when you visit the site, the screen is obliterated by a huge advertisement. Don’t panic: you can either hit the "close" button, or wait a few moments for it to get tired and slink away. It’s worth persisting, just because the site is so useful. They claim to have 20,000 definitions, and I have no reason to doubt it. And here’s the killer argument – usually I understand the definition!
I’m not a "techie", and often I’ve foolishly Googled a new term and ended up more confused than when I started. I should have gone to TechEncyclopedia in the first place.


(From the Gateway to websites, select "Computers". TechEncyclopedia is a Key Link.)


Conquer the Web (Web, Web…)

I’ve admitted to being a "non-techie", but I’m keen to try new things, Having done blogs (rubs hands together, moves on), I thought I might start a website – something tasteful, a place to air ideas and opinions (mostly my own, naturally). EchoEcho will help me on my way to Web domination.
The EchoEcho home page is not drop-dead gorgeous; it’s rather mousy and understated, but it backs up its claim to be "your one stop free help site for all things web related" (phew!) with tutorials, forums, free resources and much more for the budding webmeister.
I looked at the tutorial for learning HTML (the "secret language" behind web pages, telling your computer to make the page a certain colour and make some words bold). I’ve tinkered with HTML, so it wasn’t all new, but it seemed admirably clear and – important this – encouraging.
Far be it from me to encourage you to add to the enormous weight of websites, but if you are determined to have a go, tuck EchoEcho under your arm for protection.

(From the Gateway to websites, select "Computers", then select "Website authoring" from "Other links". Here you will find EchoEcho.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd be the first to leave a comment, since I was there at the birth of the WTH!

I think it's working really well, and looks good too.